It was built in the early 17th century to a design by the Florentine architect G. Caccini. The “imitation marble” wall decoration dates from the 19th century.

All the marble, stone, alabaster and wooden sculptures and pedestals are the work of the Viti workshops, which were the most important in Volterra for alabaster working in the 18th and 19th centuries, before they closed down in 1874. The coats of arms belong to families related to the Viti.